The Radon Forum

Author   Comment  
radon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
Radon in the News Radon in the News.jpg 

There are many instances of radon in the news. Most of them are informative articles for awareness. Radon is a gas that is the second leading cause of lung cancer. It cannot be smelled or tasted. Testing for radon in your home is encouraged. This can be done by purchasing a kit from your local hardware store. Cost of the kit is from $10 to $30. 

By having radon in the news, awareness of the dangers of it is increasing. There have been incidences of one house having radon and a neighboring house being clear. Anyone could have the problem, but the problem can be corrected. Radon can enter a house through many ways. According to reports about radon in the news, radon can get in through cracks in the floors or walls, through gaps, and even through the water supply. 

In one article with radon in the news it mentions that if you are buying a home, you can insist that it be tested. Even if the house is in an area that does not require testing it is recommended. It does not matter if it is an older home or a new home, one out of every fifteen homes tests positive. There is no safe level as the effects of radon accumulate in the lungs. 

An interesting but scary fact that one radon in the news article brought up is that only five states require testing of schools for radon. Those states are Rhode Island, Connecticut, Virginia, Florida and Colorado. One would think that if free radon testing was offered, schools would gladly accept. This is not so. Many districts feel this can only make them look bad and cause panic among the parents if any traces of radon are found. In spite of the many articles of radon in the news, many are choosing to look the other way rather than deal with a possible problem. 

There is a sinkhole in Louisiana that continues to grow that includes radon in the news. It seems that as the sinkhole widens, there is an increased release of a mixture of toxins. The radon level is being monitored and local residents are being urged to take precautions as to staying away from the area. There is also increased concern as to the effects on residents and livestock. 

Radon can be found in any of the states and it is important that people realize the dangers. Be aware of different articles of radon in the news and do your own research. Then you can make your own informed decisions.

jonterns

Reply with quote  #2 
Why isn't radon testing offered to schools for free? If not free, at least the local school boards or government officials should be finding the funds to have the testing done. I think that in this day and age, more people aren't learning all of the facts about radon and radon testing in particular. I am going to ask if my daughter's school has been tested for radon or not. We live in Michigan and it isn't listed as a required testing state.
Mickey

Reply with quote  #3 
That is a great point! I know there are tons of schools that actually have classrooms under ground as well. I am going to find out if they test in my area. I wouldn't want my kids going to a school that didn't test for it. 

Reply with quote  #4 
So the purple is most at risk? I see it different on every map. I think this is a basic run down of it but I wonder if storms and weather patterns can shift it. Like it is higher in places that have more rain or something?

Reply with quote  #5 
I am going to have to find a better map of my area to see how much danger we are in here!
Blindly I imaged I could
Keep you under glass
Now I understand to hold you
I must open my hands
And watch you rise
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Radon Blog Alabama Colorado Radon Mitigation Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Radon Mitigation Georgia Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Radon Maine Maryland Massachusetts Radon Mitigation Michigan Minnesota Missouri New Hampshire New Jersey radon New York North Carolina Ohio Oregon Radon mitigation Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina Tennessee Utah Vermont Virginia Radon Washington West Virginia radon mitigation Wisconsin Wyoming Huntsville AL Madison AL Birmingham AL radon mitigation Denver CO Aurora CO Colorado Springs CO Boulder CO Fort Collins CO Stamford CT Norwalk CT Fairfield CT Trumbull CT Westport CT Greenwich CT Wilton CT Shelton CT Middletown DE Wilmington DE Newark DE Atlanta GA Radon mitigation Norcross GA Alpharetta GA Marietta GA Roswell GA Peachtree City GA Cumming GA Lawrenceville GA Dacula GA Buford GA radon Naperville IL Plainfield IL Palatine IL Bolingbrook IL Gurnee IL Indianapolis IN radon mitigation Bloomington IN Fort Wayne IN Columbus IN Valparaiso IN South Bend IN Terre Haute IN Evansville IN radon Olathe KS Wichita KS Overland Park KS Shawnee KS Lawrence KS Topeka KS Lexington KY radon Louisville KY Nicholasville KY Georgetown KY Frankfort KY Bowling Green KY Richmond KY Union KY Radon Mitigation Ellicott City MD Columbia MD Silver Spring MD Frederick MD Gaithersburg MD Annapolis MD Sykesville MD Westminster MD Baltimore MD Mount Airy MD Potomac MD Worcester MA radon Westford MA Shrewsbury MA Acton MA Waltham MA radon Ann Arbor MI Kalamazoo MI Lansing MI Grand Rapids MI Brighton MI Minneapolis MN radon mitigation Saint Paul MN Lakeville MN Eden Prairie MN Burnsville MN Rochester MN Rosemount MN Radon Kansas City MO Saint Louis MO Chesterfield MO Saint Charles MO Ballwin MO Lees Summit MO Nashua NH radon mitigation Dover NH Concord NH Hudson NH Derry NH Pelham NH Bedford NH radon in Freehold NJ Monroe Township NJ Trenton NJ Phillipsburg NJ Syracuse NY radon mitigation Poughkeepsie NY Rochester NY Mahopac NY Schenectady NY Ithaca NY White Plains NY Middletown NY Buffalo NY Radon Winston Salem NC Raleigh NC Charlotte NC Cary NC Greensboro NC Mooresville NC Cleveland OH radon Medina OH Avon OH Akron OH Avon Lake OH Westlake OH Wooster OH Canton OH Stow OH Mansfield OH Wadsworth OH Columbus OH radon mitigation Portland OR Salem OR Lake Oswego OR Silverton OR Beaverton OR Pittsburgh PA Radon Philadelphia PA Bethlehem PA Allentown PA Easton PA York PA Lancaster PA West Chester PA Reading PA radon gas Cumberland RI Providence RI Wakefield RI Warwick RI Cranston RI Tiverton RI Fort Mill SC radon mitigation Greenville SC Greer SC Simpsonville SC Salem SC Taylors SC radon gas Nashville TN Knoxville TN Franklin TN Brentwood TN Johnson City TN Maryville TN Salt Lake City UT radon West Jordan UT Park City UT Sandy UT Draper UT radon mitigation Guilford VT Wells VT Wilmington VT Brattleboro VT Ashburn VA radon Leesburg VA Fairfax VA Manassas VA Gainesville VA Bristow VA Woodbridge VA Alexandria VA Arlington VA Chantilly VA Roanoke VA radon mitigation Spokane WA Vancouver WA Spokane Valley WA Morgantown WV radon Martinsburg WV Fairmont WV Wheeling WV Charles Town WV Radon Mitigation Madison WI Milwaukee WI Waukesha WI Brookfield WI New Berlin WI Sun Prairie WI Oak Creek WI Franklin WI Oconomowoc WI La Crosse WI Rock Springs WY radon Lander WY Casper WY Sheridan WY Gillette WY